Monday, February 28, 2011

Sometimes Husbands Don't Make The Best Girlfriends

I convinced Steven to watch the Oscar's with me last night.  We aren't generally big on awards shows around our house, but for some reason I wanted to watch the Oscar's last night.  Thankfully, Steven consented to watch the red carpet show & award show without a fight.

I found myself eagerly chatting away regarding the red carpet event.

"Keith Urban & Nicole Kidman really are the best matched celebrity couple.  They get to go to all the awards ceremonies: CMA's, Grammy's, Golden Globe's, Oscars.  How sweet is that!?!?"

"That is such a girlie dream of mine.  To attend a red carpet event draped in a stunning designer gown and high end jewels.  To have an entourage of people fixing my hair, nails and makeup.  It's on my 'never gonna happen' bucket list."



And that's about the time that Steven interjected, "So am I supposed to be one of your girlfriends tonight?  Pretend that I actually are about 'Who Wore It Best'?  If so - that's cool, just tell me....."

I guess you gotta give the boy credit for trying.  At least he was kind enough to watch the red carpet show and awards ceremony without complaining.  He did comment on how much he loved Reese Witherspoon's hair (hubby's gotta a thing for big hair) and was very annoyed when I informed him that wasn't her real hair. "Why you gotta ruin my dreams", he begged.

So.....since I didn't have a girlfriend handy last night to discuss the best and worst of the Oscar's here are some tidbits I found interesting:

- What was with Anne Hathaway?  I understand that the producers were trying to draw a younger demographic - but she seemed way too flighty to host the Oscar's in my opinion.  She kept fidgeting with her dresses and touching her waste.  And she cat called as every presenter came on the stage.  Cat calling at the Oscar's - really??

- James Franco wasn't much better in my opinion.  I know he's all studly and cool - but he seemed much more like a statue than a sex symbol to me.  Yes, my heart melted on the rare occasion that he actually smiled or laughed - but again, that was rare.

- Since when did Gwyneth Paltrow become an actual country singer?  I know she did a country movie in which she sang - but seriously, she's no Carrie Underwood.  I love GP.  She's a bombshell and I think she's a fabulous actress.  But her performance last night was sub par and she looked like she was in pain while singing.....

- Mila Kunis & Justin Timberlake were my favorite presenters.  I think they pulled off the light hearted, but respectful demeanor The Academy was going for.  She was stunning.

- How painful were the acceptance speeches?  Gotta love Melissa Leo dropping the f bomb. *Classy*


- Am I the only person who didn't know about half of those movies?  I know that's how it usually goes with the Oscars - but seriously, I have only seen The Social Network.

Thanks for letting me share those few tidbits.  Really needed to get that off my chest.  If you watched last night - what were your thoughts???

27 comments:

Marian said...

I agree on the hosting duties...it was pretty rough. I didn't mind Anne as much, but I think s he had to cover so much ground since James could barely keep his eyes open. I liked what they did with Hugh Jackman last year...I don't know why he didn't come back...or why they didn't have he and Anne together.

My favorite part, besides the f-bomb...was probably when they made movies into musicals a la the T-Pain app (or what sounded like the T=Pain)...but I may just have loved it because I was drooling over Jacob's abs...again:)

It wasn't the best show...and it seemed to be that way for everything. For the hosts, for the dresses, for the acceptance speeches. There's always next year

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha at least her offered to be a girlfriend for you! Cute:-)

Stacey said...

She cat called because she is starring in the upcoming movie - Catwoman.

Whim Wham Life said...

I totally agree with the hosting, very awkward! Altogether, it wasn't very entertaining. I just wanted to see who won. We had just watched "Winter's Bone" a few nights before, so, I think we had seen every movie nominated except for "The Kids Are All Right." Great movies this year, bad Oscars! Or, "Oscar" as it's now called! xoxo

Tiffany said...

I watched it with my MIL and my husband. By the end he was commentating on Florence from Florence and the Machine's hair too! (We couldn't figure out if it was fake or really that red).

I was pretty disappointed with the hosting too. I think they both tried too hard. James to be "mysterious" and Anne to be whimsical.

I love Justin Timberlake, and Mila had the prettiest dress there. I think they did a great job.

Don't worry about the movies, I felt really dumb, I didn't know half of them. Now I have a large list of movies to watch!

Sarah said...

Yeah, I think the hosts earned "Most Awkward Hosting Ever" last night. I love Anne Hathaway, but...yeah. I really hate that you could tell it was scripted. You sort of expect that, but still.

Unknown said...

I have read a LOT of reviews today on the Oscar's -- I must say that I am glad I didn't watch haha =)
Good for Stephen at least playing along with you =)

Rebekah said...

I agree on the hosting. I love Anne Hathaway, but I wasn't too impressed. Mila Kunis and J Timberlake were my fav presenters for sure! I only saw two of the movies that were up for awards. It was a rough year for seeing movies in the Edwards' household! We're working on catching up because a lot looked so good!

So shay said...

Ahhh! The sweet little Oscars. I want to walk that red carpet dangit! I guess I should start by going to acting classes though huh? :) Let's go red carpet crash next year!? You down?

James Franco SUCKED. I swear we was either high, or on something. He looked like a deer in headlights. Anne was beautiful, but you are right. She wouldn't start figgiting with her dresses. I think she was just nervous, and trying to bring some personality to the Oscars because her co-host was lacking in so many areas. Love the guy, but not last night. Shame shame.

The beginining was very awkward too. My hubby was my "girlfriend" of the night too. So sweet!

Oh, and GP was WAYYY off last night. Better than I would do, but I think this new country thing got the best of her last night.

Okay, rant done.

Jessica said...

I agree on the hosts, not Oscar-worthy in my opinion. Mila has looked stunning lately and is really becoming the one to watch!

Gwenyth was okay in her performance but she didn't blow my mind, not an awards performance at all.

Amanda Heady said...

I totally thought that the Oscars were a bit boring. If you watched any of the previous award shows this season you could have 100% predicted who was goign to win what. The only thing I loved were the dresses. Red on the Red Carpet was definitely the trend. In my opinion the writers didn absolutely nothing to help out James and Anne. They aren't comedians they are only actors... Lesson learned on that one. I guess there is always next year....

Mrs.M said...

I didnt think the hosting was that great either. James seems to be too cool for school sometimes. Hes hard to relate to.
Kudos to your husband for at least TRYING to be the gf. My dear husband turned the channel automatically and said the Oscars were too boring for him. haha

Kelly said...

I never watch award shows. I think they give themsevles way to many awards :)

Meg O. said...

Aw, major kudos to hubby! That's hilarious!

I actually thought Anne Hathaway was cute (although a little rough around the edges as you mentioned) but James Franco was a complete snooze fest for me. I just thought the whole awards show was lacking.

Unknown said...

oh i def hear ya on this post girl! I agree with hosting- and def think Anne wasn't the best. xo

Emily said...

I agree with you on the hosting. I juuust wrote a blog post about how awkward she was!! I discovered a lot of movies that I would like to see though!

If you haven't seen Black Swan, I would highly recommend it! It was awesome! I loved it.

I went over to my boyfriend's house and surprisingly he & all of his roommates were watching it & even commenting some! I felt right at home!

ty said...

James Franco just looked stoned. But I love him.

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

I never see many of the Best Picture nominees - and now that there is a field of 10, I will never see all of them before the awards show. But I will add them to my Netflix queue!

Mateya said...

The hosting was mediocre at best. Anne seemed to be trying too hard to make up for what James was lacking. He is no doubt very sexy (oh that smile!) but I think he had a liiiitle too much fun before the show started. Either that or he was super nervous because he was just dull!

I haven't seen hardly any of those movies either! No surprise. I usually like movies that are about love or are funny, not the thought provoking ones.

Brittney said...

I agree! I didn't really like Anne Hathaway as a host or James Franco. I thought they both seemed out of place and that the show was pretty boring to boot. I was bummed that Melissa Leo won the Oscar for best supporting actress instead of Amy Adams. I loved "The Fighter" and Amy did a fantastic job in that film, along with the fact that Melissa Leo already beat her out in the same category at the Golden Globes. It just seemed a little redundant...why not give someone else a chance? The one award recipient that I felt truly deserved it was Natalie Portman for best actress in Black Swan. That film was AMAZING!!! :)

Neely said...

Oh gosh it was like watching a trainwreck because we all know James was stoned out of his mind!

Karen said...

I say if they are going for the younger demographic, let's get Justin Timberlake to host next year. Darnit, I just love him! (And I think he would be fabulous!)

Crystal said...

awww too cute. :)

Michelle said...

love your blog! I'm a new follower :)

I agree with the hosting, some parts were good, some not so much. I do love Anne Hathaway though. And I either loved the dresses or hated them too.

Hope you are having a great day!

http://missblondiexoxo.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

i didn't get to watch it...but i loved reading your recap! :)

Stacey said...

just to let you know - that fashion police gave Nicole Kidman worst dressed!

Laura said...

I didn't watch since it was on SUPER late here.. but I definitely got caught up by reading everyones posts :) ... I heard about the same things as you were saying.. that they just weren't that great. And I totally am there with you on not hearing about all the movies. WOW am I out of the loop! oh well!



Young, Fabulous, Newlywed





Button Love

My Blogger BFF

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Elements by Karen Funk