Friday, September 10, 2010

"It's The Police!"

I'm starting to notice a pattern of being woken from a dead sleep around my house.  Maybe that's why I'm so cranky these days!

Early this morning I woke to a soft tapping on our front door.  Confused and exhausted, I glanced at the clock which read 5:45 am.  Wondering who in the world would be at our house so early, I announced, "Steven!  Someone's at the door!"

Somewhat startled, he leapt from the bed and headed into the living room.  Moments later I heard a puzzled tone as he exclaimed, "It's the police!"

I snatched on my glasses (I'm blind as a bat otherwise!) and ran into the living room to see why in the world the police would be at my house before dawn - assuring myself there was no way we could have done anything that would cause the authorities to question us at such an early hour!

Upon opening the door, a very kind officer met our confounded faces with a smile.  "Good morning. Sorry to disturb you.  I just wanted to let you know that your garage door is open.  I was afraid it may be unsafe if you were unaware."

Completely unaware that we had left our garage door open the entire night we thanked the kind officer for his service, closed the garage door, and crawled back in the bed.

I *cannot* believe we left the garage door open all night long!  Seriously.  Someone could have waltzed right into our house during the middle of the night.  Or taken some pretty pricey items from the garage.  But no harm was done - thank the Lord!

I've always believed that we live in a very safe neighborhood and have always felt comfortable and secure. It's nice to know that officers actually patrol neighborhoods looking for signs of potential danger and alerting citizens when they are at risk. 

Thank-you to all the men and women who serve in the local police departments, fire departments, and EMT's.  Your service literally helps me sleep better at night!

26 comments:

Brandi said...

Thank goodness for great police officers! You are very lucky! That is all I read about in the paper is break-ins and people's stuff being stolen from their homes and vehicles. Glad to know you have someone looking out for you!

Christina said...

Whoa...lucky someone told you. The garage was left open at my house the other night too, and when you hear a strange noise in the middle of the night and see the garage is open, it gives you an uneasy feeling. Glad everything's ok!

Cheryl said...

That is great they stopped to tell you! I accidentally left the garage open all day Tuesday when I went to to work and my husband found it when he got home. Oops! :(

ty said...

We did the EXACT SAME THING two days ago. Left the house at 7 the next morning to find the door wide open. Thank God we live in a good neighborhood!

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

Aww!! That's awfully nice of them to tell you about that. I'm glad nothing bad happened!! :)

Anonymous said...

EEK! Thank goodness you have good police officers to check on you! UGH!

Unknown said...

So glad nothing happened, and for such a wonderful officer to notify you-even if it was at the crack of dawn!

chloë. said...

WOW! If someone knocked on our door at 5:45am I would have a full-on heart attack. But I'm glad the police alerted you to the garage door--that could've been scary!

agalandherdog said...

We leave ours open all the time, and we've never had an officer stop by to tell us -- and my brother-in-law is a cop. Lucky you.

Kelly said...

Wow, that is SUPER nice!! We left our garage door open once and have not made the mistake again. We have SOOOO much expensive equipment stored there, as well as the door leaded into our home completely locked!! Scared the crap out of me...

Enjoy your weekend!

Brittany said...

That was so nice of him to tell you! And luckily he did :) Glad nothing was missing!

Ally said...

That was really kind of him to be looking out for you. Good thing nothing happened!!

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

I have left the garage door open all night and then gone out to the car and been SHOCKED that nothing happened. I was really lucky.

What a nice officer to let you know!

Anne said...

Just recently I walked out of my garage door to leave for work in the morning to find our garage door opened. And we don't keep the door from the garage to the house locked. Unfortunatley that wasn't the first time that happened either. Luckily no one has ever decided to come on in.

That's awesome that the police were out and about keeping an eye on things!

Unknown said...

Wow -- thank goodness you have actual police patrol in your neighborhood that ACTUALLY patrol! So glad to hear all is well and nothing was missing =)

Marian said...

Wow, what a great cop that was. That was super nice of them to stop by. So glad the story has a happy ending!!

Anonymous said...

Scary!!! I did that once here in D.C.... I wasn't so lucky. I'm glad you guys are safe and everything is intact!

Mateya said...

Yikes! That is scary! How nice of the officer to stop and tell you though!

Ms. J said...

Glad nothing was stolen and you guys were safe!! Also reassuring that you live in a safe neighborhood and have attentive police officers!

Miss Southern Vol said...

this is too funny! I can only imagine being a little freaked out seeing the police that early in the morning- that is really awesome though that they are nice enough to let you know! We are still adjusting to our new house/ area so I'm still a bit of a scaredy cat at the moment!

Ms. Emmy N said...

Wow! How great to know you have such watchful police officers in your neighborhood!

Mrs. Pick said...

Wow! You're so lucky an officer happened to be in your neighborhood to let you know! We've done the same thing and thankfully nothing was stolen! We weren't as lucky to have a police officer stop and knock on our door though! We had to figure out after we woke! The hubby and I felt like the biggest dummies!

Mrs. Lukie said...

We had the SAME thing happen to us a few weeks ago. It was 11:45pm on a Saturday night and the doorbell rang. Hubby went to answer the door (with the shotgun in his hand, hidden behind the door..LOL) and it was our neighbors, wanting to let us know our garage door was open.

Amen for good people!

Brittany Ann said...

What great civil service!

Meg O. said...

Wow! What a great police officer to stop and let you know that you had left it open!!

Leslie said...

So glad everything turned out to be fine, and thank goodness for that nice police officer!!! I was cracking up though, because I can see this same thing happening to us!



Young, Fabulous, Newlywed





Button Love

My Blogger BFF

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Elements by Karen Funk