Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shopping Insurance = HUGE Fail

I was really hoping that the first time I blogged about crossing an item off my 101 in 1001 that it would be to report something great, something successful, some huge positive check off my list.

Unfortunately, my first "cross it off the list" moment is a complete failure.

Remember this post about my car accident in February?  And this post about how my insurance premiums have gone through the roof? 

I decided to shop our insurance Friday. I literally spent four hours calling six different insurance agencies to see if we could find lower insurance premiums.  It was mind numbing.  Sharing the same personal information and driving history with six different people...blah....I hated it.  But I was hopeful that I could find an insurance carrier that could save us some money - anything - even $10 - $15 a month would make me smile.

By the end of business Friday I had received word from five insurance companies that they could not match our current premiums with State Farm.  My accident coupled with a pretty hefty speeding ticket on Steven's MDR puts us in the "high risk" category.  Which means - we have to pay dearly.

I held onto one last hope over the weekend....Farm Bureau promised to call and they believed they could possibly save us some money.  So I held hope that maybe all my efforts weren't a complete waste.

And yesterday, the agent called and dashed all my dreams.  Their premiums would cost us about $40 more a month than State Farm.  He was sorry...but there was nothing he could do.

And what did I do?  I cried.  Because I'm frustrated.  Four hours of my time down the drain and we're still stuck with a pretty hefty insurance bill each month.  It made me sick on my stomach and the only thing I could think to do was cry about it.  Too bad I can't pay my insurance bill with tears - I've got plenty of those to go around.

Yeah - I'm a baby.  But it made me feel better.  This being an adult thing sucks some days. 

So anyway - I've shopped our insurance to see if we could save some money and we can't.  Go figure. 

Here's hoping that the next item I mark off my 101 list will be a little more positive to report!

26 comments:

Kelly said...

Awww, that sure is a bummer!! 4 hours?? What happened to Geico being able to help in under 15 MINUTES?? ;-) You tried your best, don't get down-- now go cross it off your list because you sure worked hard! There is nothing else you could have done!

Cheryl said...

Well, think of it this way....even though you weren't able to get a lower premium, you did start your list and you were able to cross something off of it. That in and of itself isn't a failure! The end result wasn't a success, but you did it, and that is what counts. :)

Brandi said...

I'm not sure who all you called but did you try progressive? I had them for a long time when I was considered high risk and they were always cheaper than anyone else. Then I moved on to Nationwide once my record was cleaned up and saving even more money now. I wouldn't give up just yet! May also check into multi-line discounts, like if your home owners insurance is on there with your cars or maybe taking out a life insurance policy with them, that sometimes can help lower the bill.

Unknown said...

awww!! I'm sorry your first post for your 101 list wasn't a success =/ On the bright side, at least you know for sure that you are getting the best rate possible =)
Here's hoping for a success story on your next item!

Angela Noelle said...

I'm so sorry :( I absolutely despise insurance. I know I'd appreciate it were something bad to happen, but I hate paying their exorbitant prices for a "might"... and then you're lucky if they'll actually pay out when you need it!

Aly @ Analyze This said...

That is a bummer!! I'm sorry you couldn't save any money :( But look at how 'adult-like' you are for shopping around trying to find a better rate!

Abby said...

Insurance SUCKS!!! I was on my parents policy, bought a new car, and got a quote......then got a quote by myself and it was DOUBLE THE COST. So....same driver, same car, same record, DOUBLE THE COST!?!

but hey....at least you tried!!

Kristin said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your insurance woes. I know what it's like to have those ticks on you record...the good news is: they will pass! - Oh, and btw, I never commented on your last post, but I loved it! You're right: we DO get a skewed sense of romance from books, movies, and other peoples lives. - I've actually been mulling around the idea of starting a weekly "date idea" column. What do you think? - Only a couple days left to sign up for our Fall Friendship Swap! That will cheer you up, won't it? :-D

Christina said...

I also was considered high risk and got my best deal from Progressive. Good luck! I started my 101 in 1001 too but have not been able to check anything off yet. Hopefully it goes better for you from here on out!

Check me out at http://chrisylouwho.blogspot.com/.

Sammy said...

Aww, I'm sorry you weren't successful but at least you started your list :)

I shopped around last May to lower mine, I'm high risk from a wreck in college that hasn't left my record and for some reason my Acura is considered a sports car so that makes it higher too. But, I found the best deal was with Geico, but it was cheaper to do it online than with an actual person, go figure!

Oh and I have an award for you on my blog!

Anonymous said...

Insurance is NO fun! Lucky for me my hubs has had the same insurance for like 15 years or something CRAZY and they didn't shoot him for marrying me {two reckless speeding tickets and a horrible wreck before we got married... I just got ANOTHER speeding ticket... God bless my husband, he still let's me drive :)

Kelly said...

Sorry it turned out that way...insurance really bites sometimes.
The next thing on your list will be better...I just know it!

agalandherdog said...

I'm so sorry. At least you probably got the worst one crossed off your list.

Stacey said...

Oh, call your regular insurance agent back. When we called and told ours we were shopping around, he managed to find almost $1,000 to save us this year! YES - $1,000!!! And it was because we told him we were shopping. Can't hurt to try!

Patience said...

I am not sure if you have a Costco near you or not, but they have super affordable insurance prices. I went from paying $1100.00 every six months to $460.00. Worth checking out.

Ms. J said...

Being an adult is no fun when it comes to bills! I feel your pain! We just switched from Geico to Progressive and it saved us like $70! Did you try them??

Mateya said...

Gosh that stinks! Being an adult isn't so fun sometimes...bills are such a pain!

You tried hard though! I am sure your next item will be a success :)

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

Ick. That sucks that no one was able to save you any money. Stupid bills.

Sarah said...

I know it really stinks, but from my experience State Farm really is the best. We wouldn't have even switched, but we didn't have the proper insurance to ship our car to Hawaii. So...we were forced. And we were not happy about it.

Brittany Ann said...

Oh, hun, I'm so sorry! Big girls DO cry, and it's OK! Maybe after a good driving year they'll go down?

Tori Bella said...

All I can say is... girl, don't I know!

Jordan said...

Oh that sucks! Hopefully after a little more time from the accident/ticket it'll be able to go down. I know I need to do the same kind of shopping and I'm nervous what I'll find. Ugh, being an adult is so cool, right?

Melanie said...

Oh I know how you feel..just 2 weeks ago I was doing the SAME THING! Thankfully I found one place that saved us some cash..like you said..anything helps! Not sure if you have Safeco in your area or not..but thats who we went thru..might want to check them out if they are (we got ours thru an independent agent). Dont loose hope..there still might be someone out there who can help ya out!!

Lindsay said...

I think you should be applauded for trying! Way to go!! xo

love jenny xoxo said...

I'm working on making an 101 list now, and I won't be putting shopping for insurance on it, so boring :) and not to brag but my insurance is sooo low no one can believe it. Probably helps that my car is super old and not worth anything :)

XOXO

Anonymous said...

That sucks! I found out my car insurance will go up about $40/month I think once we put it on our insurance policy. I'm trying to keep it on my parents as long as I can. My mom's name is still on the title so my thoughts, she still has an investment in it... maybe I can hold off. I'll even prolong my car payments ;)



Young, Fabulous, Newlywed





Button Love

My Blogger BFF

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Elements by Karen Funk