Thursday, June 10, 2010

He Made My Heart Smile


Steven was waiting for me when I pulled into the driveway last night. “I want Dairy Queen”, he said. We hadn’t even eaten dinner yet – but I’ve never been one to turn down ice cream, so we hopped in my car and off we went.

The closest Dairy Queen is actually at our local mall. We wound up grabbing a quick bite a McAlisters and decided to walk around the mall before indulging in an ice cream treat. We found ourselves at a sports apparel shop that surprisingly had a decent selection of Alabama apparel (maybe it’s because they are the National Champions!?!?) While browsing I stumbled upon the cutest Crimson Tide onesy with matching booties and toboggan. I shot Steven and smile and he said, “Oh yeah – my kid’s coming home from the hospital in that!”

We finally made our way down to Dairy Queen and ordered Snickers blizzards then headed to Barnes and Nobles for a little browsing. I found this book “Awkward Family Photos” and we stood in the middle of the aisle laughing for what seemed like forever at these incredibly embarrassing family photos from the 80’s and early 90’s. (I’m pretty sure that the picture of my crimped mullet could have easily made the cut!) We just stood there – laughing. Laughing like we did when we were 18 on a summer night with no school or work the next day – like we did before life got complicated.

At one point I looked up at him and thought, “So this is what it feels like to be in love?” Don’t get me wrong, I love Steven. Undoubtedly love Steven. But we have been going through a lot these past months and life has a cruel way of causing love to feel more life survival than passion most days.

I stood there soaking him in – my twenty something husband with daring blue eyes and a smile that makes me weak in the knees. I said a silent prayer of thanks to God for giving me that moment. That moment of pure happiness with the man that I love. No fear of bills or plans for the future. No worry about what decision is *the right* decision. Just complete, heart-and-soul bliss in the simplest moment. It was as if I could feel my heart smiling.

I think we all need more moments like that. Sometimes we focus so much on the big moments – like trips out of the country, graduations, anniversaries, birthdays and holidays. We hope that in those moments we will rekindle the flames of our romance and believe that those moments will carry us through our periods of “survival”.

But I realized last night that my marriage is comprised of the little moments. The times when Steven looks at me and says, “I want Dairy Queen” and I just go without asking about dinner or what’s on TV that night - I just get in the car and go somewhere with the man that I love. And as a result, I feel whole again. I feel years younger and happier than I have in months – all because my hubby wanted Dairy Queen and for once, I just said yes.



32 comments:

d.a.r. said...

This made me bawl my eyes out. So sweet and so true. I am so glad you were gifted with a wonderful evening like this!

Kelsey Claire said...

This is so sweet. I love those little moments when you just feel joy especially when you are not expecting it. I am glad you got one of those moments yesterday!

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

Absolutely wonderful! It feels so good to know that I'm not the only one looking for those moments! I had one the other day and sat back and remembered how much I love him and why. We get so busy and caught up in our seperate lives that we forget how much we love each other. Every now and then we let our guard down and the result is perfect! Thanks for sharing Amber! :)

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

Amber, this is hands down the most beautiful thing I have read in a very long time. You are so blessed and deserving of such a wonderful love! Thank you for sharing it with us, and for the loving reminder! xox

Kelly said...

As time goes by, those moments will grow closer together. You learn to pick your battles, and give things that you can't control to God. Then life is just bliss (not really but a lot closer!)

Please say a prayer for Ellie Potvin today - you can read about her on my blog.

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Sweet post! I got a little tear in my eye reading this! :)

KW said...

i love this post. LOVE.

you are an incredible writer and i'm SURE your hubby loved this post as well.

have a great day love!

{andthisiswhatshesaid} said...

Aww, so cute

THE Stephanie said...

So true! I'm glad God gave you that moment, and you just "went with it".

Brittany Ann said...

It's those little moments that always give me back the man I fell in love when we were young and inexperienced. Our love is deeper and harder now, but those moments? Where it becomes like we're 18 year olds again? Those just warm my heart!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful evening and a wonderful post! Glad you were able to take a night and just enjoy each other!!

Kayti said...

Thank God for true love and husbands that make our hearts smile! =]

Unknown said...

Oh this was so sweet. Those moments are the best.

Kelly said...

Aww, that is so sweet. I'm glad you had a great night together!! Life can become so fast-moving, it's nice to slow down and cherish and be thankful for the special things in life!!

Anonymous said...

Soooo sweet! I definitely got a little misty! Life is made of little moments, we have to take time to remember the great ones. PS: There is a facebook page and they post a different Awkward Family Photo every day or so... HYSTERICAL!

Alissa said...

You 2 are so sweet! It's the little things in life that count and make you think.

Brittany said...

This was really sweet and made me smile :-) It's moments like this that make everything so worth it. Glad you two were able to enjoy yourselves!

Allison said...

I needed this post! Eric and I have been going thru the same kinda of "tough times" the past couple of months and this just hit home!!!

Natalie said...

that is so sweet.
the little moments are the best : )

Catherine said...

I am a semi new follower.

I have to say that this post was so sweet. Those moments are what makes life so wonderful!

Michelle said...

Precious! So true and I love that you shared this. Thanks. P.S. I LOVE YOUR layout and pictures...where did you get it?

Unknown said...

Wonderful post. Those happy little moments are the best aren't they? Not only are you lucky to have such a wonderful husband, but also to have a McAlister's and Dairy Queen in your town. Wish I had that!

~*~Lilly~*~ said...

Awww... love that! & my love it started as a blog before the book...take a little looky at this:
http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/

:)

Mateya said...

This is so sweet and so very true! We all get so caught up in the every day things that we forget about the little things and how much they mean to us! I am so glad you had such a great night and were able to feel that feeling :)

Sarah said...

LOVE those moments! Joe and I used to do that a LOT - go to B&N, look around, laugh at stupid books. =) Especially when he was in AIT and I could only visit him on weekends. We pretty much lived at the mall and B&N. Your post makes me want to do that this weekend. It's fun to feel all goofy like you're dating again - free from "real life." <3

Design Apprentice said...

I think we can all relate to those simple and happy moments. That sounds like perfect and I'm so happy you got that carefree date night. I wish I was kidding but I'm also now craving DQ, ha. :)

Tiffany said...

New Follower here! Your post made me smile. I have been in a similar rut lately and I have also begun to realize that it really is those little moments that take your breath away!!

Taylor-Made Wife said...

What a great reminder! I love the unexpected joyful moments. The best date I ever had with my husband was one where we weren't planning it and just picked up and went.

Anonymous said...

this is so sweet - a little spontaneity makes a world of difference :)

Kristin said...

This made MY heart smile too :-) Hope you have a great weekend my dear!

we hate you. love, us said...

This was a really great post. I totally agree with you - the moments that matter are the silly, little things.

Tori Bella said...

Gasp! We did nearly the exact same thing on Sunday after church, hit up the mall, got a little DQ and cracked up at that same book at Borders!!!! WEIRD!



Young, Fabulous, Newlywed





Button Love

My Blogger BFF

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Elements by Karen Funk