Thursday, August 19, 2010

Clarity That Comes With Age

Remember the saying, “I live for the nights I’ll never remember with the friends I’ll never forget?” It makes me think of one thing….
C-O-L-L-E-G-E!!!! Woohoo! Good times!!!

Kind of crazy to me that only three years later my priorities have changed completely. Who wants to stay up all night long these days? Who can go off four hours of sleep a night and be completely functioning? Who thinks Ramen noodles & Mountain Dew are a perfectly acceptable dinner? NOT ME! (At least not anymore!)

I thought to homage to my new found maturity and appreciation for all things “grown up” I might share a few things that I live for now….love more than anything now….cherish each day now….
I live for Friday nights spent snuggling on the couch with hubby, puppies & a romantic comedy.

I love waking up at 9 a.m. on a Saturday and having all my chores done by noon – so amazing to be productive on a weekend!

I cherish the friendships and mentors I have found in my Life Group. Thank the Lord for Godly guidance in my young marriage!

I live for a good girl’s night. No boys – no pretenses – no need to look your best. Just me and my girl’s catching up like it’s the old days.

I love the simple ecstasy that can be found in a hot bubble bath with a good glass of wine and an even better book.

I cherish phone dates with best friends who I don’t get to see nearly as often as I would like.

I live for football season – tailgating, football parties with scrumptious food, cooler weather, Saturday’s with my man!

I love Sunday afternoon naps with my puppies. Dixie is the best snuggle buddy ever.

I cherish my mother. Whenever I need her, she is always there. Her love is never failing – she is my support and strongest confidant.

I live for summer vacations at the beach with family. Cards, shrimp boils, days spent on the beach. Doesn’t get any better!

I love watching my hubby build a fire on a cold winter night.

I cherish Sunday’s spent at Five Stones in worship. I cherish my relationship with my Savior and His undeserved grace and mercy.

I live for family dinners when the folks come to visit at *our place*.

I love the sense of pride and amazement I feel when I contemplate all that Steven and I have accomplished in our two years of marriage. How much stronger we are as a couple, how blessed we are with our home and puppies, how happy our life together is.

I cherish holidays spent with family. The best times are always had when I’m surrounded by our families – especially during those special holidays each year!
The list could go on and on. Again, it’s so strange to me how in such little time my value system has completely transformed. The possessions and accomplishments that once seemed so important have taken second place to the “finer” things in life – faith, family, friends. I still want nice things and I still want to do great things, but I realize that my life’s greatest accomplishments will come from the relationships I develop and the impact I have on those around me – not in the size of my bank account, home, or 401K.

Ahhh….growing up. If only I had this clarity at 18! I might have done a lot of things differently. But what would really be the fun in that?  :)

PS - If you entered my Metro Line 6 Photography Giveaway early yesterday morning - I don't think I got your entry.  Blogger was having some tech problems yesterday and I noticed that I didn't not start receiving comments until yesterday afternoon.  So check just to be sure your entry was posted!

18 comments:

Andrea @ The Dawley Fam said...

Great Post! It made me reminisce! I found myself nodding along with each thing you listed! Have a great day girl! ~Andrea @ Life in Dawleywood

Misty Michelle said...

This is sooo cute! You make being married sound so wonderful! :)

Tiffany said...

Yay for growing up! I noticed once I got married I cherished my relationship with my mom much more than I did when I was young! Crazy how things change!!

Lindsay said...

So true! The last thing I want to do after a long week at work is go out and party all weekend....bleh! My idea of a great weekend is catching a couple good movies with my love, getting lots done around the house, and visting with family! Great post! xo

d.a.r. said...

I love this list!!

Alissa said...

Amen to that sister haha! I'm so with you on this. College was so fun, yet I'm so glad it's a thing of the past.

Unknown said...

Ha ha this is great! I've changed so much since meeting my hubbs too.

Ms. Emmy N said...

Great list! Isn't it so funny how much our priorities change? I used to live for going out on the weekends, in fact I had that quote printed and pasted on my wall in college~ But now, it takes me nearly an entire week to recover from one night out. But you're right, is we has known then what we know now, it just wouldn't have been as much fun!

Brittany Ann said...

I know what you mean! My life is boring, but I love it!

Jordan said...

GREAT post! I think we have a lot in common! Everyone said college was the time of your life, and yes, in a carefree fearless way it was, but I much prefer the peace of a little more maturity... combined with the dreams and silliness that remain still in your 20s.

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more-with EVERYTHING you wrote. College was 100% nights I don't remember with friends I'll never forget. Everything you said about growing up and life's reward being faith, friends, family and fur babies couldn't be more true!

Anonymous said...

ah yes, words to the wise. And my fiance posted a blog this morning on my site I truly thought you might enjoy. If you get a minute check it out!
http://tnicolej.blogspot.com/2010/08/daily-dose-of-funny_3137.html

ens said...

couldn't have said it better myself! looking back, college sure was fun but given the chance, i surely wouldn't want to go back

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Whate a great post!

Brittany said...

I loved reading this :) I also cherish my relationship with my mom so much.

Family vacations are great. I went this summer, after 5 long years, and it was the best 2 days I had in a long time - no boyfriend either. Just having fun acting like a kid again with my 7 yr old brother!

Sammy said...

Great post! I treasure my relationship with my mom now and really enjoy kicking back for a week at the beach with the whole family. Now, I look forward all week to Saturday breakfast dates with my husband. Funny how in college nothing like that is important and you rarely get up before 2pm on a Saturday lol. :)

Mateya said...

So true! It's amazing how quickly priorities can change!

I have to agree with Misty Michelle up there, the way you describe your marriage makes me look so forward to becoming Robbie's wife.

Ms. Dutton said...

I love this post! Isn't it funny how priorities changes? I'll take a night in with my 2 boys (...one of them being four-legged and furry!) over a night of partying any day of the week! I truly feel like these are the most important things in life. Family, friends, and love can be replaced by nothing. Realizing this in itself is such a gift! Thanks for sharing! :)



Young, Fabulous, Newlywed





Button Love

My Blogger BFF

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Elements by Karen Funk