Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hubby's Comical Choice of Literature

My husband and I are avid readers – as in, easily read a book a piece a week – sometimes two if there isn’t anything good on TV. Sometimes it can be difficult to keep that many new books in the house – we could easily spend $100 a month just buying new books.

We also aren’t picky readers. We read everything from David Baldacci’s crime and government espionage series, to Harry Potter, to war novels, to romance novels (maybe not so much Steven), to religious writings – anything, we read it.

But sometimes it’s difficult to find new and interesting books. Especially if you’re trying to find books that are reasonably priced. My brother told me that Steven should start reading the Percy Jackson series. You know the movie Percy Jackson & The Lightening Thief. Paxston is 21 and has decent taste in music and movies so I assumed his literary suggestions would also be spot on.

We recently visited Borders to purchase Steven a new Bible, but couldn’t find anything he liked. So I suggested while we were there he should pick up the first two books in the Percy Jackson series. I ran next door to Ulta in search of a few cosmetics and left him to purchase his books.

When I returned fifteen minutes later he was wandering the store saying he couldn’t find them. So I hopped on the search engine and looked up the author. I turned to Steven with a smile on my face as I began to say, “No wonder you couldn’t find them, they are in the….” At which point he interrupted and finished, “the kids section….I just saw.”

Almost comically we both entered the decorated kids area and searched for the Percy Jackson series. As we checked to find the first and second book in the series a boy about ten years old walked up, grabbed the first PJ book and said, “Awesome!!” I *burst* into hysterics as he walked away.

As if this were not humiliating enough, the cashier was delighted that we were purchasing such fascinating children’s books. “Your kids are going to love these. They are such great reads. All kids love them!” To which Steven just smiled and handed her his debit card.

Bahahaha…..

Steven was obviously a little embarrassed at buying what are deemed “children’s books”. We assumed they were kids book like Harry Potter & Twilight are kids books – meaning completely acceptable for adults, in fact adults tend to love them more than kids. Apparently, Percy Jackson books are truly for kids.

Which again – Bahahaha…..

Guess hubby will have to think twice about making fun of my Twilight obsession. I will keep this card in my pocket for a while.  :)

17 comments:

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

Haaa!!!! That is so cute!! My husband isn't much of a reader so I finally found a difference between our husbands! LOL

I always want to go back and read books that I LOVED when I was younger because I remember them as the best books ever...but then when I read them again...I'm like "This isn't really all that great." Hahaha.

Cheryl said...

That's a cute story! At least your husband reads! Mine hates to read, and I love it. I read every day, usually right before falling asleep. I couldn't imaging not liking to read!

Sammy said...

This whole time I was trying to figure out where I knew the Percy Jackson character from and when you said kids section, it hit me... my mom's elementary classroom, LOL.

But, at least yours reads, I've never seen my husband pick up a book lol.

Unknown said...

Hahahaa that is funny!

ty said...

hahahahahaa. Try Chuck Palahniuk's books, or any C.S. Lewis. Vastly different authors, but I love the both of em!

Natalie said...

that is HILARIOUS!! : )

Sarah said...

Bahahahaha!! That is hilarious!!!! That'll teach him to make fun of Twilight readers! =P

Kelly said...

Ha..ha..**clearing throat** I like Percy Jackson :)

I ready everything my 11 year old (he will be 12 tomorrow) reads!

I've finished the series :) (I'm one book ahead of Cam) funny that Steven's reading and y'all don't have a child, but he can just say he is reading them in advance to approve them for Ethan. LOL

Anonymous said...

hahaha that's awesome! So if you are on the hunt for a good book series, have you tried the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series? One for the Money, Two for the Dough, Three to get Deadly, etc to 15 came out this summer. She is a bounty hunter who is horrible. I think they are hilarious!

Sonya said...

Tell him it's ok. My husband and I have read the whole series. I did find it strange that they were in the kids section because I read them for a middle/high school age children's literature class. But I guess the grade for mythology begins around 6th grade. They are definitely an easier read than Twilight & Harry Potter. Enjoy them because definitely one of my favorite series of books!

Alee said...

So funny! As a teacher, I knew right away what the Percy Jackson series was. The way you told the story made me hang on until the end just to see his reaction and your thoughts on the books. Great post!

Brittany Ann said...

My husband is the same way about his deep love of Harry Potter. It's child-like; it's embarrassing. And it's hilarious.

(Admittedly, I've read them, too, though.)

Random Musings said...

I love having stuff like that to bring up..lol

I read TONNES too and I try to avoid going into B&N as much as possible because I can not afford it..lol

Unknown said...

Haha, funny story :) I used to be SUCH an avid reader, but kinda got out of the habit. I'm in college and I usually don't feel like reading much during my free time. But maybe I'll pick up Percy Jackson some time this summer just for fun!

OneCraftyFox said...

Hilarious, I luv this story!! I am an avid reader too. I could only make it through the first two Twilight books though. I will finish the series though... someday...

A couple girlie books that I really enjoyed were 'Tart' by Jody Gehrman and 'The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets' by Eva Rice.

Have a fantastic weekend :)

Dave and Ashley said...

I foresee this being very useful for you in the future! Too funny!

tootie said...

Haha!! That reminds me once when I bought a huge box of Easy Mac, and the cashier said, "Your kids must love Easy Mac!" I was embarassed because we don't have any kids!

You'll have to let us know how the books are!



Young, Fabulous, Newlywed





Button Love

My Blogger BFF

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Elements by Karen Funk