Thursday, August 26, 2010

Oil Cleansing Method Update

First I would like to say thank-you so much to all of you who left encouraging words yesterday regarding my mini CrossFit meltdown.  Like I said, I know that this transformation will take time and I'm trying not to be too hard on myself as I work through this new routine.  Your words really pumped me up yesterday!  I'm looking forward to the WOD tonight!

Now...many of you have asked for an update regarding the Oil Cleansing Method post I did a few weeks ago.  So here's the scoop.

I'm still using the essentials oils as a cleanser each night.  And I do love it.  I can tell a drastic difference in the tone and texture of my skin.  The blackheads and pores on my nose have cleared up significantly.  I love the fact that I am using an all natural, paraben free form of cleansing.  The five to seven minute ritual relaxes me and prepares my mind for rest each evening. 

The bad news.... I had to start using my acne medication again.  I went a solid four weeks without using Differin Gel hoping that the breakouts around my mouth would eventually clear up on their own - and they didn't. 

With much chagrin I began using my Differin Gel medication again last week; however, I only apply it to the area around my mouth & T-zone as these are my problem areas. 

I don't believe using the OCM is what has caused me to breakout.  I have always suffered from horrific acne and breakouts.  I really hate having to use Differin Gel as it is a product filled with parabens and other chemicals, but I can no longer walk around with my face looking like I'm fourteen again!

I would still suggest the OCM to anyone who is looking for an all natural cleansing method - especially if you do not have problem skin to begin with.  If are one of the lucky ones blessed with difficult skin, I would try the OCM solo for a few weeks and see what results you get.  If your breakouts clear up - great!  If not, go to a hybrid method like I have an only use your acne medications in the necessary areas.

I've switched to a paraben free cleanser, paraben free moisturizer & paraben free foundation.  If I have to use a tiny bit of paraben filled products each night to help control my breakouts - then so be it!  I figure - something is better than nothing.

If you have any specific questions about what essential oils you should try or where you should purchase them, feel free to leave me a comment or send me an email!

12 comments:

Tiffany said...

what kind of paraben free foundation do you use?

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

Thanks for the update girl! I'm glad to hear that it made your tone and texture better!! That's better than nothing! :)

Karli said...

I was going to email you about this today! I was driving this morning and wondering how it was going now that it had been a few weeks. Thank you for the update. :) Glad to hear that it has cleared up your blackheads and pores as that is what I struggle with the most with my skin.

Ashley said...

Thanks so much for the update, I've been so excited to hear how it is going. I think I am going to try it out, unfortunately I am a blackhead girl. :( Bleck!

Anonymous said...

I have noticed lately that my T-zone has been breaking out big time too! I have never had this big of a problem with pimples, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I recently started using the Neutrogena Complete Acne Therapy system and it has helped a lot. I used Differin back in high school and the gel they provide in the pack is pretty similar to that. I will keep my fingers crossed for the both of us! :)

Laura said...

hmmm... i've never tried the "all essential oils" face stuff.. My skin is so sensitive that it either 1. breaks out (little bumps.. not actually pimples) 2. gets super dry 3. gets super oily or 4.. just looks like a wreck.. when ever my "surroundings" change. needeless to say, my lifestyle right now doesn't help. But I'm glad it's made your skin so much better.. mid 20's tends to be a bad time for breakouts too (so my dermo said).. so maybe you'll get rid of that gel stuff soon.. :) just have to get out of the stage. hahaha

p.s. i know nothing of what i'm talking about.. i'm not a doctor.. just what i've heard :) hehe

Kristin said...

Oh! I'm so glad you did this! I was actually going to ask you about how it was going. So what found/moisturizer/etc. did you settle on? I always love "reviews" on natural products. It's fun to try new ones :-) Hope you're having a great evening...

Kristin said...

Oh! I'm so glad you did this! I was actually going to ask you about how it was going. So what found/moisturizer/etc. did you settle on? I always love "reviews" on natural products. It's fun to try new ones :-) Hope you're having a great evening...

Leslie @ A Blonde Ambition said...

I've never tried the OCM, but I've always wondered about it. I'm glad you did this post, because I've got to find a new cleanser/moisterizer/foundation and I'd love something "natural".

Have a great Friday, girlie!

Anonymous said...

Amber,
Thanks for your comment on my blog last week! I'm so sorry to be late getting back - life has been crazy! But move-in did go well, thanks!
I hope you figured out the question that your friend had about her blog design! And I hope the oil cleansing method keeps working well for you!
Annie

Meg O. said...

Sounds like your acne is probably hormonal if the OCM isn't helping with it. I'm about to do this huge post on what I have been doing to help clear up my hormonal/cystic acne (and mine is on my chin)! But I'm glad that it's really helped relax you and your blackheads are disappearing!!! I've been doing OCM with Olive and Castor Oil for about a month and I love it!

Meg O. said...

oh and p.s. I left you an award on my blog! :) I totally love your blog!!!



Young, Fabulous, Newlywed





Button Love

My Blogger BFF

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Elements by Karen Funk